Tuesday, July 19, 2011

EpiCentre a nightlife center uptown



Ride the bull? Why not?

That seemed to be the motto of the night as some friends and I checked out nightlife at the EpiCentre uptown.

First on our list was Whisky River, NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s bar. To be honest, I was expecting more of a tavern vibe with bull skulls, girls in cowboy boots and a mechanical bull in the corner. While I definitely got the mechanical bull I was looking for, I was shocked to feel like I was in a sleeker dance club and not a honky-tonk country bar.

The crowd was also unpredictable, and had the most diverse group of people I've seen in a bar so far. A handful of partiers were in their 30s and a few ventured into their 40s. But after everyone had a few drinks, all ages blended together on the dance floor.

The highlight of the night had to be riding the mechanical bull with my friend Lindsey. We couldn't pass up an opportunity like that! It only took one guy slamming and bouncing off the inflatable bull ring to make Lindsey nervous; she wavered the entire time we were in line. But there was no way we could let an older guy show us up on the bull. We lasted about eight seconds before we were thrown off face first.

We also checked out Howl at the Moon, which semi-mirrored the crowd and popular dance music at Whisky River - the big difference is that there are live piano shows you can "howl" along to. Then we rounded out the night the only way you can after partying til 2 a.m.: a giant basket of nachos at Moe's.

The downside to the EpiCentre bars is the cover charge (not every night, but most nights). It's a bit outrageous to have expensive covers, but it didn't seem to deter anyone from going inside. The places were packed.



This Thursday, after Alive After 5 patrons can hop into Whisky River for Complete Thursdays. The bar offers $2 Bud Light bottles, $4 lemon drops, $4 vodka drinks and $99 VIP bottles. Those with Alive After 5 wristbands don't have to pay cover.

At Howl at the Moon this Thursday there's no cover. Specials include $1 Miller Lite cans, $4 Bacardi flavors and $2 Jello shots. The bar will also be home to "the world's most dangerous dueling piano show" that starts at 7 p.m.

BlackFinn is also located at EpiCentre; read my take on it here.

The EpiCentre
210 East Trade Street
Charlotte, N.C., 28202
704-749-1377

Brittany will blog about the Charlotte-area bar scene the month of July. Got a bar suggestion? Email penland.brittany@gmail.com.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does one "venture" into their 40s?

Anonymous said...

A lot of people blast the Epicenter, but it does wow out-of-towners. Is it expensive? yes. does it have some suspect people walking around it? yes. but overall it is needed if Charlotte wants to be taken seriously. liking the blog..a bit like the Charlotte John blog...just without the curse words. haha.

Anonymous said...

EpiCenter = Bar Management Group. Why don't you ask them at each bar why they all charge you a seperate outrageous cover if all the money is going to the same place? Because it certainly is.

Also ask them are they taking all this money they are taking from people to repay the debts to all the construction workers they owe. Are they paying their legal fees and damages to those who are suing them due to negligence and various other crimes?

Have they continued to pay hush money to the city and police to cover the drug-related issues they are having?

Perhaps you should do more investigation and real reporting, rather than riding electronic bulls all night.

We won't stop with the truth.

Anonymous said...

Can I have my 15 seconds back.

FAIL

Anonymous said...

I have never seen so many rednecks wearing Ed Hardy shirts in my life. I felt like I had fallen into a sales rack at Marshells. Don't waste your time this place is only for posers.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you did FAIL, and you can have back all the time you want.
I went to the epicenter for months after the bars started opening inside, and always had heard about the trouble with the place. None of us thought much much about it until I ended up getting hurt there one night and now I believe it all. If you like it fine. Just know that it is not what it seems. I am still involved in a legal battle to this day over it all.

Anonymous said...

To the person at the top of the comment list, why do you always come on every part of this site and try to promote your personal website and attempt to disguise it?! Moderators please remove this guy's self promoting spam. I have personally only gone to the Epicenter once, and won't return. Various reasons, and too many to list, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't disagree. This place could have been so much more, but they lied to the city and to many more.

They never wanted condos like they promised, just nightclubs. Well, looks like they got what they wanted, and the city got duped. Sad thing is, so did many hard working people that never got what they were promised. Greed is everywhere I guess.

Anonymous said...

epicentre is known for epic douches

Anonymous said...

I thought the guys who wear there hats sideways were boycotting the place!

Anonymous said...

I've been to the epicenter thrice. Each time I was left wondering "did a Snoop Dog concert just let-out down the street somewhere?" Last time I had a chick who was texting-while-walking smash right into me and spill my drink (on me!). She then got right in my face, bobbin her head back and forth, and running her mouth like a drunken sailor. This lasted about 30 seconds until a guy walking by (who was not involved, and did not even see what happened) pushed her aside and said "I'll handle this baby" and he started barking in my face and chesting me. The only words I got in on each of them were "My God, did you eat a turd-burger on the way over here cause your breath smells like death." Neither were amused and wanted to kill me. One minute in to the whole ordeal, two cops (not in uniform) had to identify themselves and restrain them. Pitiful stuff. I won't be back.

Anonymous said...

Seriously...there are way better bars that the ones just located in the uptown area. I realize college kids are the only ones you are really targeting but there is a WHOLE city that likes to go out over the age of twenty-something. We like bars with soul...with regulars...with something more than beer of the month trends and wet t-short contests. Please venture out a bit... you will be glad you did.

Anonymous said...

Despite what these comments seem to suggest, the EpiCentre is a vital area to Charlotte. Though I prefer more organic retail than manufactured retail, it has become the center point of Charlotte nightlife. Sure, there are plenty of Ed Hardy-wearing d-bags there, but there are also plenty of young professionals looking for a good night out. Some of the venues can't be beat - Epicentre Theaters, Howl at the Moon, Strike City, Enso, Libretto's, Vida...there is a lot more at the Epicentre than Suite and Whiskey River, which are probably responsible for 90% of the d-bags. Also, I am there quite often, and I have never felt threatened. If you can't deal with some African American folks being in the crowd without being scared for your life, you have problems. I am 31, white, make a very good living, and act responsibly when I am out. I just think most of the folks complaining are probably right-wing hicks scared for their life at the sign of a non-Aryan. Give me a break. Go Try and have fun and quit being such whiners.

Anonymous said...

Love the comments on here. Unfortuntately they are mostly true. I moved here in 2008 as many of these places were opening. It didn't take long for WR and Suite to become DB heaven. I'm fine with it, if they would just stay there and not venture out. Keeps them out of my places. Now it has invaded the NC Music Factory so had to check those places off the list, too. If we can just keep them contained inside the 277 loop, we are still all good. So far so good.

And the one poster is right, I have quite a few friends who have a regular schedule or tour every week of places they hit. And ALL of these people have overdrawn bank accounts. They rely on knowing the person working the doors to get in, then flirt with different guys just long enough to get drinks paid for. Then the guys are mostly still around 21-25 and living off credit cards to impress the ladies, often their parents cards. Really sad...