Thursday, July 7, 2011

Irish pub offers spacious outdoor deck




If you're looking for a cold pint of beer on a weeknight, or want to spend time catching up with friends under a Charlotte skyline, Connolly's Irish Pub is the place to go.

Sitting on Fifth Street, near the end of the center city strip of North Tryon, Connolly's is hard to miss with its bright gold lettering that lures patrons in from the street.

The bar seemed to be geared more to a college crowd and three bouncers were waiting outside to check IDs, but I was surprised once we were inside -- it was mostly people in their late 20s. Also, the crowd was mostly men.

Everything about the bar is dark: the black front facade, the mahogany tables and bar, the rich maroon walls. The atmosphere is set by candles casting soft light on the bar. My friends and I decided to move away from the crowded bar and spend time enjoying our drinks on the large, enclosed patio that Connolly's offered. Two of my friends stuck with a trusty Blue Moon, while the other had a rum and Coke. I drank a hard apple cider. A rum and Coke and the cider cost an expected $12.

Once outside, black metal tables were scattered about the patio and flat screens were tuned to "The late Show With David Letterman." A light rope is strung on the tall wooden fence around the deck to create a little bit of light and the backdrop at Connolly's is a view of the city skyline.


Because the patio is so large and seating was spacious, it felt like we had the porch to ourselves, even though a few groups of about seven were also there.

The bar stuck with alternative music that night and we heard a lot of The Black Keys and The Killers.

Connolly's Irish Pub in uptown is definitely a bar I will be visiting again soon.

Connolly's Irish Pub
115 E. Fifth St.
Charlotte, N.C., 28202
704-358-9070

12 comments:

Sir_Nickuss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...

Why would you go to an irish bar and drink a blue moon and rum and coke? Just like the other night of going to a bar with a plethora of microbrews and drinking a miller lite. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Also, why do you always post pics of the same friends with pretty much ZERO background to show the bar you were at. No one cares to see your college friends, we want to see the environment of the inside of the bar.

Andy said...

Pardon my mistake...it was a PBR, not miller lite.

John said...

Andy - Why go to an irish bar (sic) and get a Blue Moon or Rum and Coke? Because that's what they wanted to drink! One doesn't have to get Guinness and Bushmills. And if you think you know so much about what to order and how to take pictures, maybe you should get your own blog/reporting gig.

Bill said...

I am in agreement with Andy. Take pictures of the establishment. You can post the other pictures on FB.

catnmbr1Fan said...

Great article, thank you for posting this one, and the previous posts...

Please ignore the people that always feel they have to ridicule anyone that has an opinion.
I guess they don't understand what a blog is and that it's not meant to be critiqued.
Keep up the good work, Brittany.

Bill said...

catnmbr1fan:

Can you please locate the rules of blogging for us? Please, cite any source that says you can only say nice things about people's blog posts.

BTW, you critiqued the blog by your own comments.

John Harris said...

Those of you saying don't criticize are the same people who support giving out participation trophies to everyone on a team. What happened to wark hard and learn from your experiences and then you are rewarded? Everyone tries to be so PC these days. I'm sorry, but not everything in the real world is peachy keen. Trust me, when I do something wrong at my job I'm not rewarded for it. I'm told I've done something wrong and then I learn from it and try not to make the same mistake again. I welcome criticism because I feel it only makes me better. I have nothing against Brittany personally. I'm sure she's a very sweet girl, but that doesn't mean she's the next phenom in the journalism world. She's in the same boat as most of us. If she's taking these comments personally then she's got bigger problems than those of us criticizing. It took me awhile to get the hang of my first job out of college as I'm sure it'll take her awhile. However, you do have to question the Observer for letting a girl fresh out of college post a blog on a website that gets thousands if not millions of hits a day.

Richard Cranium said...

WTF?

x said...

Thank you for reviewing the various bars around town. I now have a better understanding of the ones that cater to the under-30 crowd (with the exception of Dolce) and will avoid them in the future. Are there any bars in Charlotte that do not cater to overgrown frat boys?

Andy said...

I've gotta add that I also don't have anything against Brittany...I'm sure she's a great person...but these reviews just don't seem very informative or up to par with something that should be in the paper....especially with all of the writers/reporters that the observer have recently laid off.

Andy said...

In response to John's comment...you can order whatever you want but usually when you're doing a review of a bar or restaurant you chose something that the establishment is known for or is themed towards. You don't see Helen Schwab doing a review of Ruths Chris steak house and ordering a corn dog right??