Monday, July 18, 2011

Love beer? Head to Flying Saucer



For those who want variety in their beer choices, Flying Saucer offers a tap selection that will keep even the easily bored intrigued.

I was a bit skeptical of this chain restaurant and bar, but after loads of email suggestions and recommendations from friends, I had to give the Saucer a shot. I have to admit I wasn't disappointed.

The tap selection at the bar seemed limitless and lined the entire length of the dark wooden bar. While the crowd was sparse that night, I've heard the bar packs a college crowd, especially during the school year.




Aside from the vast beers offered, the decor was unique to other bars I've visited. Instead of ceramic tiles, thousands of pennies framed the back of the bar and created the back splash.

Anyone interested in making their rounds in beer tasting can join the bar's UFO club. By paying $18, participants get a BeerKnurd T-shirt and a card that'll keep track of the beers consumed. Along the way, participants receive prizes and saucers to mark their progress. Tasters are inducted into the Ring of Honor after trying 200 beers.



From July 18-24, patrons can celebrate Belgian beer week at the bar. Monday is $1 off all Belgian beers; Tuesday is Belgian beer trivia; Wednesday is Stone/BeerKnurds unite specialty glass; Thursday is Belgian independence day and Chimay specials and giveaways; Friday is $1 off Belgians; and Saturday is cheese, chocolate and Belgian beer pairings.

Flying Saucer
9605 N. Tryon St.
Charlotte, N.C., 28262
704-717-8179
Hours: Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.; Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.; and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Flying Saucer although I think they could improve slightly on their food menu, but all in all it's a great place - especially the beer selection!

TC said...

Another place where ignorant,shallow,vain drunken twentysomethings hang out....big whoop!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you finally ventured out of Uptown. Flying Saucer is a good fun bar to grab a beer, & yes during school year it gets packed.

Anonymous said...

17 reviews, 10 Uptown, 3 NoDa, 4 UNCC. Nothing at Lake Norman, nothing on Montford, nothing at South Park or Matthews. How about getting out of your comfort zone or renaming the blog? Vintner at the Arboretum was recently named #20 in the WORLD for craft beer retail by Ratebeer. Bars at Lake Norman and on Montford are jammed every night of the week.

Anonymous said...

FS goes for quantity over quality for the most part. much prefer the taplist at duckworths. still it is nice to hit up before heading to a concert out there.

Anonymous said...

Flying Saucer isn't a bad spot, and they do have a nice beer selection. I don't believe I've ever eaten there however. I think the Charlotte John blog guy wrote about this place and said he hated the food...but I think I'll give it a try and see for myself.

Anonymous said...

Flying Saucer has NOTHING on Taco Mac. The beer selection is far superior and the food is great.

Anonymous said...

I started working in the univesity area about six months ago and was introduced to the FS. The place is a bar with food. So far,,,the beer is cold, the food is good and wait staff is attentive. I've enjoyed my visits with co-workers. I would say it is better than Vinnies....on par with Boardwalk Billies but with a hellofa better beer selection.

Anonymous said...

Flying Saucer and Duckworth's beer selection is focused on quality. They don't waist taps on beer like Miller or Bud. At the Saucer they have a window where you can look in their cooler and see that the beer lines go straight from the keg to the tap, not through the ceiling or floor from a cooler in the back of the building. Plus their staffs know alot about beer. If you're looking for a fresh American craft beer or Belgian ale the Saucer and Duckworths are the place to go. Taco Mac is a nice bar and can boast a huge selection. However, its selection is far from refined as the other two bars. It's not a bad place to watch a ballgame though.

Sandra Becks said...

First of all, I'd like to thank you for posting this. I've been looking for a place of your description for quite sometime now. I think I'll give it a go soon. The place sounds to be quite fun as the crowd, mostly college-goers, make me feel comfy. And, before I forget, the brauerei offers different types of bier. I will check it out soon when I'm in New York. Thanks.